Telephone: 0115 922 4855 Emergency Only: 07971 072 201 111 High Road, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 4AT
Book Your Appointment Online

Your pet and Easter Dangers

Click To Enlarge

Chocolate

It would seem that dogs have more of a taste for chocolate than cats but chocolate is actually poisonous to both.

The poisonous compound in chocolate is called theobromine and naturally occurs in the cacao pod. The higher the chocolate content the more theobromine there is, for this reason dark chocolate is more poisonous than milk chocolate.

The amount of Theobromine to cause poisoning is in the region of 100-150 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight, If you have a collie weighing 20kg as little as 2000mg of theobromine could be fatal without urgent veterinary treatment. If you bare in mind that 3000mg of theobromine can be found in one 500 gram bar of chocolate you can see how little dark chocolate needs to be eaten to have a potentially lethal situation.

Once a dog has a taste for chocolate (just like us) they become addicted and crave chocolate. This takes some careful management as Karen and her family found out. Karen’s dog Flash ate more than a fatal dose of chocolate, thanks to them quickly getting him to us we managed to successfully treat him, even so, it was touch and go for a while. Now Flash actively scouts the house for chocolate.

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate then you should call your vet straight away, preferably with an idea of how much chocolate has been eaten.

A small amount of chocolate will probably only cause gastroenteritis- vomiting and or diarrhoea.

Small amounts of high quality dark chocolate or a lot of milk chocolate, the theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity.

Calling the vet straight away if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate is essential as successful treatment for theobromine poisoning is to empty the stomach (often by induction of vomiting) within two hours of ingestion.

Grapes

Sensitivity to grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants depends on the individual, some dogs can eat quite a lot without any ill effects while others only have to have a very small amount to be left with permanent kidney damage. That is only evident days after eating the grapes.

This is why we can never take the risk of seeing how they are. If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes in their fresh or dried forms then contact your vet as soon as possible.

Treatment is in the form of support for your dogs kidneys to help prevent permanent damage.

Foods to avoid are fresh grapes (we have had two dogs in the last couple of months being tempted by fresh grapes in the fruit bowl), Simnel cake, hot crossed buns and especially chocolate covered raisins.




Back To List
Find Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Contact Churchcroft Veterinary Centre Today On Telephone: 0115 922 4855 / Emergency Only: 07971 072 201

What Our Customers Think

George has been treating my dog, Buddie, over the last few months and has shown compassion and caring towards him and was genuinely interested in ensuring his recovery. Would highly recommend George and all the staff at Churchcroft.

Helen Jarvis

We were lucky to have Churchcroft recommended to us over 5 years ago when Daisy joined us as a puppy. When we rescued Lacey we never expected to spend so much time with you. Lacey could not have had better care than that which she received from everyone associated with Churchcroft. Although the outcome was not what we wanted the extra time that she had with us was down to the expert vetinary care she received. We can never thank you enough for the care and compassion shown to her, Daisy and us h...

Cheryl Gray

Thank you for your exceptional care and treatment of Howie

Zoe & Tim

We really appreciate all the care, support and your patience in answering all of our questions. Your kindness really helped us through. Thank you.

Sinead & Will

Thank you so much for the way you care for Tom. With your guidance he's doing so well and I have no doubt he's in the best hands.

Jen, Keith, Fred and Tommie

Latest News

Lung Worm

Lung Worm

Lungworm Infection   Climate change in the UK has caused the weather to become warmer and wetter. This change is good news for some parasites, such as ticks,...

Click Here

Latest Developments Dental

Latest Developments   Dental Click Here To Play

At Churchcroft Vets We Provide Expert Dental Care To Keep The Patients In Our Care Healthier And Hap...

Puppy Socialisation

Puppy Socialisation Click Here To Play

Puppy Socialisation Is A Vital Part Of Raising A Well Rounded Dog That Is A Joy To Own And A Great C...

Welcome To Churchcroft Vets

Welcome To Churchcroft Vets Click Here To Play

What Churchcroft Vets Is All About And What Our Clients Say About Us

MOV 0333

MOV 0333 Click Here To Play

A Video Of A Conscious Dog Having An Echocardiogram.

How To Tablet A Cat

How To Tablet A Cat Click Here To Play

George Giving A Cat A Tablet With Demonstration Of How To Hold The Head.

Jacey ECG

Jacey ECG Click Here To Play

Dog Having An Electrocardiogram (an ECG)

Send Us A Message

***
Cookies

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can click the link below to disable cookies, otherwise, we'll assume you're happy to continue
Close This Notice

Disable Cookies | 3rd Party Data Processors